Castaways FC Constitution
The name of this Club shall be the Castaways Football Club (Castaways FC), hereinafter called “The Club”. Board/Board of Directors are members elected annually at the Annual General Meetings to conduct the business of the Castaways FC.
The purpose of the Club is to promote, foster and develop both men and women, in all boundaries, in the game of Soccer. The Club aspires for a committed and growing membership, which embodies excellent communication and participation to cultivate winning and positive teams and players. The club shall be operated without purpose of pecuniary gain to any of its members, and any surplus of the Club shall be used solely for the purposes of the Club and the promotion of its objectives.
The Club shall be affiliated with the Canadian Soccer Association, British Columbia Soccer Association, Lower Island Women’s Soccer Association, Vancouver Island Soccer League, Victoria Master’s Soccer and the Discovery Sports Club and subject to the Constitution/Bylaws, Rules and Regulations of those bodies.
Upon dissolution of the Club, the assets which remain after payment of all charges and expenses which are properly incurred in winding up, shall be assigned and distributed to such organizations as may be involved with the game of soccer, or to such other charitable organization or organizations as may be determined by the members of the Club at the time of dissolution. This provision is unalterable.
The Club shall be composed of the following categories of members.Active Membership: shall be open to any person on payment to the Treasurer of this Club an annual membership and registration fee as determined by the Board of Directors of this Club and such dues must be submitted to the Treasurer on or before the date as designated by the executive.
Associate Membership: shall be open to head coaches, assistant coaches and managers.
- Membership or renewal of membership may be denied by this Club to any member or registrant who, upon investigation, is found to be guilty of unethical practice detrimental to the game, or for good and sufficient cause.
- Suspension: A member unable, or failing to maintain any conditions of membership shall be considered not in good standing and may be suspended by the Board, until such time as the conditions are fulfilled.
- Expulsion: A member may be expelled by a Special Resolution of the members passed at a General Meeting of the Club. A notice of Special Resolution for expulsion shall be accompanied by a brief statement of the reason or reasons for the proposed expulsion. A member who is the subject of the proposed resolution for expulsion shall be given the opportunity to be heard at a General Meeting before the Special Resolution is put to a vote.
- Only members in good standing shall be entitled to be represented or vote at any meeting of the Club.
- Membership is valid from September 1st to August 31st of the following year.
Board of Directors Meeting
- The Board of Directors shall meet whenever the President deems it necessary, or if he is directed to do so by a majority of the Board of Directors, but in any case, shall meet at least once in every three months during its term of office.
- At all meetings of the Board of Directors, five shall constitute a quorum for the purpose of transacting business.
Annual General Meeting
The Club shall hold regular meetings on dates and at such locations as determined by the executive. The Annual General Meeting of the Club shall be held if possible, during the month of August and, in any event, at least once every calendar year and not more than fifteen months after the holding of the last preceding Annual General Meeting.
- Notice of Meeting: Fourteen (14) days written notice of each General Meeting shall be given by the secretary to all members of the Club entitled to attend such meetings and shall specify the place, day, and hour of the meeting, and, in the case of special business, the general nature of that business. Such notice shall include the Agenda, which shall be as detailed as possible.
- A quorum must be present.
- A quorum is 10 members present.
- If at anytime during an AGM there ceases to be a quorum present, business then in progress shall be suspended, until a quorum is present or until the meeting is adjourned.
- If within 30 minutes from the time appointed for an AGM a quorum is not present, the meeting will stand adjourned to the same day in the next week, at the same time and place, and if, at the adjourned meeting, a quorum is not present within 30 minutes from the time appointed for the meeting, the members present will constitute a quorum.
- Active members will be entitled to have a voice and a vote.
- Associate members will be entitled to have a voice and a vote.
- Each Director, except the President, shall be entitled to one vote on all matters of business. President shall have a casting vote only.
- The order of business at the Annual General Meeting shall be:
- Adopt the rules of order
- Adopt the agenda
- President’s report
- Secretary’s report
- Treasurer’s report
- Registrar’s report
- Field & Gym Director’s report
- Equipment Director’s report
- Social & Fundraising Director’s report
- Sponsorship Director’s report
Reports of Committees
- Consideration of Amendments to the Bylaws
- General Business
- Agenda of AGM shall include: the minutes of the most recent General Meeting of the Club and minutes of the last AGM;
- the reports of the Directors, officers and president;
- the financial statements, including an operating budget for upcoming year, and an audited report of the last fiscal year;
- establishment of membership fees for the ensuing year (whenever possible);
- proposed amendments, if any, to the Constitution, Bylaws, Rules and Regulations;
- election of Directors; and
- any other business.
- Voting at Annual General Meetings:
- Full members shall be entitled to voice and to vote.
- Each Director of the Club except the President shall be entitled to one vote on all matters of business.
- No member shall exercise more than one vote.
- The President may cast a vote only in the event of a tie vote.
- Voting by proxy shall not be permitted.
Special General Meeting
- A Special General Meeting shall be convened by the President at the request of a majority of the Board of Directors, or shall be convened by the President at the request of a majority of the active membership with this Club.
- Fourteen (14) days notice must be given of any such Special General Meeting and such notice shall be posted on the official Castaways FC website for each member on the Board of Directors and each active member of this Club to be notified.
- Only the business set out in the requisition calling a Special General Meeting shall be dealt with at the meeting, except with unanimous consent of the President and those present.
- A quorum must be present.
- A quorum is 20 members present.
- If at anytime during a special meeting there ceases to be a quorum present, business then in progress shall be suspended, until a quorum is present or until the meeting is adjourned.
- If within 30 minutes from the time appointed for a special meeting a quorum is not present, the meeting will stand adjourned to the same day in the next week, at the same time and place, and if, at the adjourned meeting, a quorum is not present within 30 minutes from the time appointed for the meeting, the members present will constitute a quorum.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
The business of the Castaways FC shall be conducted by a Board of nine Directors.
The Board of this Club shall consist of:
- Field & Gym Director
- Equipment Director
- Social & Fundraising Director
- Sponsorship Director
- The President, Vice-President, Secretary and Treasurer shall hold office for a term of one year.
- Every Director shall hold office for a term of two years.
ELECTION OF OFFICERS
- Elections shall be by voting unless the position is filled by acclamation.
- Elections shall be held in this order:
- Vice President
- Field & Gym Director
- Equipment Director
- Social & Fundraising Director
- Sponsorship Director
- The President and at least one-half of the Directors shall be elected at each Annual General Meeting, with the exception of the first time the Directors are voted in.
- The office of a Director may be vacated if that Director is absent from two consecutive meetings of the Board without showing just cause for such absences or submits a written notice of desire to resign from the position.
- The Board shall appoint an individual as a Director to fill any vacancy created. A Director so appointed fills the vacancy until the next General Meeting of the Club.
DUTIES OF THE BOARD MEMBERS
Elected Executive Positions, Functions and Responsibilities:
The President’s responsibilities are to:
- Preside over all Soccer Executive meetings.
- Prepare the agenda for Annual General Meetings.
- Represent Soccer, or delegate another to represent Soccer, at the Club
- Executive meetings and other appropriate occasions.
- Manage and lead the Soccer section.
- Be a signing officer for the Soccer Section.
The Vice President’s responsibilities are to:
- Assist the President.
- In the absence of the President, take on the President’s duties until such time as the President returns to their position or a new President is elected.
The Treasurer’s responsibilities are to:
- Transact all banking business.
- Keep such financial records, including book of accounts, as are necessary to comply the Society Act.
- Provide financial statements to the Soccer Executive, as required.
- Be a signing officer for the Soccer Section.
- Pay approved Soccer Section invoices.
- Collect Soccer Dues.
- Ensure all players have paid dues in full prior to playing in the regular season.
- Prepare an operating budget for upcoming season.
The Secretary’s responsibilities are to:
- Notify Executive members of upcoming meetings/events by phone or email at least one week prior to the meeting/event.
- Record and maintain meeting minutes for all Executive meetings.
- Distribute minutes (via email) to the entire Executive within 10-14 days of meeting.
- Maintain all current and historical records/documents for the Soccer Section and keep in safe custody, and provide documents when required for the Society Act.
The Registrar’s responsibilities are to:
- Prepare for and coordinate player registration at the beginning of the season and manage all other player registration throughout the year.
- Submit all money to Treasurer.
- Work with the Web Technician to prepare a name/phone/email list of all Soccer members for the Soccer Executive by October 31.
- Act as the Privacy Officer and maintain responsibility over any and all privacy issues, in accordance with the Privacy Act
- Work with team managers and coaches to collect and submit information and cheques for LIWSA and VISL as needed
Elected Executive Directors:
Field & Gym DirectorThe Field &
The Gym Director’s responsibilities are to:
- Apply for Gym and Field Permits.
- Arrange for payment of permits.
- Liaise with municipalities and school districts.
- Distribute permits to teams for the facilities they are using.
- Monitor usage of fields and gyms.
- Schedule usage of fields and gyms.
- Update soccer executive and team reps about field conditions.
- Arrange game schedules for the women’s teams home games.
- Arrange for fields to be lined at home games if necessary.
The Equipment Director’s responsibilities are to:
- Manage the distribution, collection, monitoring and storage of all Castaways equipment and jerseys.
- Arrange for the purchase of any new equipment approved by the Executive.
- Keep a written record of all equipment and jerseys distributed to each team,and document its condition at the time of distribution as well as time of collection.
- Determine equipment needs of each team and bring forward to the Executive for review.
Social & Fund Raising Director
The Social & Fund Raising Director’s responsibilities are to:
- Explore fund raising opportunities for the Soccer Section.
- Work with the DSC Executive’s Fund Raising representative to coordinate fund raising activities.
- Organize social activities for the soccer section.
- Inform DSC Soccer Rep of social events.
- Coordinate with DSC Soccer Rep to ensure club is open for social events.
- Work with DSC social Director to help organize club events.
- Organize and run the year-end events.
- Work with executive and any member volunteers on any specific fundraising committees (ie. Labour day tournament, etc).
The Sponsorship Director’s responsibilities are to:
- Actively recruit new sponsors for the soccer section. This includes recruiting sponsors for each team and the Labour Day tournament.
- Review all sponsors prior to sponsorship and inform the Executive about these sponsors.
- Advise teams regarding sponsorship policies and procedures.
- Liaise with sponsors to maintain good public relations.
- Ensure any team or club member seeking sponsorship individually gain approval from the Sponsorship Director and the Soccer Executive prior to sponsorship.
Appointed Executive Associates:
These positions are appointed by the Executive or Team and are not entitled to a vote at the monthly executive meetings.
The Web Technician’s responsibilities are to:
- Design and maintain Castaways Website (http:// www.castawaysfc.org).
- Obtain current information from each Director and post on the website.
- Liaise with the Soccer Executive regarding content and information posted on the website.
The Clothing Coordinator’s responsibilities are to:
- Design of new Castaways Gear. This includes warm-up t-shirts, sweatshirts, sweatpants, hats, etc.
- Ensure all Castaways Gear displays the current club logo and correct name.
- Ensure all Castaways Gear displays any current sponsor information.
- Take orders for Castaways Gear from membership at the beginning of the season. (Any subsequent orders to be done at the discretion of the Clothing Coordinator.)
- Collect all money for orders prior to placing the orders.
- Order all Castaways Gear through the company specified by the Soccer Executive.
- Pick up and distribute all gear to the membership.
Appointed by each Team
The Team Representative’s responsibilities are to:
- Participate at every Soccer Executive meeting. These meetings are mandatory. Failure to attend an executive meeting will result in a $20 fine and could result in loss of equipment, gym, or field privileges.Arrange for another team member to represent them if they can’t make the meeting.
- Represent their team’s interests at all Soccer Executive meetings.Communicate information obtained from Soccer Executive meetings to their team members.
- Manage their team during Soccer fund raising events.
- Have access to email so information can be sent from the executive.
- Be responsible for additional team jerseys that are handed out (if it is required)
The Team Manager’s responsibilities are to:
- Represent their team at all League meetings.
- Manage the registration of their team into the League.
- Track all equipment and jerseys assigned to their team, and report any lost or damaged equipment or jerseys to the Equipment Director immediately.
- Assist the Coach as required.In the absence of a Team Manager, these responsibilities are to be maintained by the Coach.
The Coach’s responsibilities for their team are to:
- Run practice sessions and games.
- Select and sign players.
- Promote a positive culture.
- Discipline players as required.
Should the Coach be unable to complete the season in their coaching role, (s)he is encouraged to find a suitable replacement.
Past President – Outgoing President
The Past President position is filled by the previous year’s president. If the current and past president’s are the same person, this position may be vacant. The Past President’s responsibilities are to:
- Pass on historical information to the current President and Executive.
- Assist the new President in making the transition to his/her duties.
- The Board may delegate any, but not all of its powers to Committees and shall at all times, remain responsible for the actions of the committees.
- Committees shall consist of a Director(s) and such additional individuals appointed at the discretion of the Board. The chairperson of a committee shall be appointed by the President from among the Directors.
- Committees may meet at such places and at such times, adjourn and otherwise regulate their meetings and proceedings as they see fit.
- The Chairperson of a committee shall report to the Board on the proceedings of that committee.
- A quorum for transaction of business at meetings of committees shall be a majority of members of the committee.
- The signing officers of the Club shall be any two of the President, Treasurer and one other Director as may be authorized by resolution of the Directors.
- The fiscal year for the Club shall be July 1st to June 30th each year.
- The executive has the right to adjust an approved budget as long as they do not exceed the total amount of expenditures.
CONSITUTION AND BYLAWS
- No change or amendment shall be made in any part of the bylaws except at the Annual General Meeting or at a Special General Meeting of the Club.
- Clubs or leagues in active membership with this Club and members of the Board of Directors may propose changes or amendments to the bylaws.
- A copy of every proposed change or amendment shall be forwarded to each Club or league in active membership with this Club and to each Board of Directors.
- Information provided to the Club is collected as part of our player, coaching, and team management process. The information will be used solely for the purposes related to the daily operation of our soccer programs, and is subject to the rules contained in the British Columbia Personal Information Privacy Act (PIPA).
- The privacy officer of the Castaways shall be the Registrar, and s/he will be responsible for any privacy issues and shall handle them accordingly.
- The financial records shall be audited annually by a director, other than the Treasurer, before the AGM.PROTECTION OF DIRECTORS AND OFFICERS
PROTECTION OF DIRECTORS AND OFFICERS
- Except as otherwise provided in the Act no Director or Officer for the time being of the Club shall be liable for the acts, receipts, neglects or defaults of any other director or officer or employee or for any loss, damage or expense happening to the Club through the insufficiency or deficiency of title to any property acquired by the Club or for or on behalf of the Club or for the insufficiency or deficiency of any security in or upon which any of the moneys of or belonging to the Club shall be placed out or invested or for any loss or damage arising from the bankruptcy, insolvency or tortuous act of any person including any person with whom any moneys, securities or effects shall be lodged or deposited or for any loss, conversion, misapplication or misappropriation of or any damage resulting from any dealings with any moneys, securities or assets belonging to the Club or for any other loss, damage or misfortune whatever which may happen in the execution of the duties of the director’s or officer’s respective office or trust or in relation thereto unless the same shall happen by or through the director’s or officer’s own willful neglect or default.
Last Updated Wednesday, September 02 2015 @ 11:06 AM CDT